From:
Paul McLaren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 06:10:08 -0400
I am trying Polystyrene hive for this first time this year.  Placed packages
last weekend here in New York and the bees seem to be taking to them fine.
I have a concern about the bottom board however.  They have built in Varroa
screens, which I am in favor of, and the base has numerous scallops built
in.  This allows for a lot of air circulation through the bottom, and hence
through the Varroa screen.  I am worried that there may be to much cold air
on the new package during our cold spring nights.  Right now we are reaching
35 deg F. at night, and up to 70 deg F. during the day.  Does anyone else
think that this provides too much draft?  Has anyone blocked these scallops
for spring/winter seasons?  I am considering building a wooden base that
would have removable slats that would close these holes during cold weather
and provide a place to use a collection tray under the Varroa screen.  Any
suggestions?

Paul McLaren
Poestenkill, NY