From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2012 11:57:49 -0400
We have been doing about 7,000 pounds a year.  There are those producing a
similar quality, but I have not found a better quality.

There are several important steps in the process.  Not executing well on
any will result in an inferior product.  There are several methods to grind
the seed.  Dyce advocated a metal sausage grinder for small amounts.  Start
with any granulated honey, and run 2-3 times through the grinder.

We use a Hobart mixer.  Metal mixing blade in a metal bowl.  MIx
until the honey is creamy.  Let set for a week or two and sample.  If there
is any degree of coarseness, grind again.  We do about 30 lbs at a time,
which will let us make up a 300 pound batch.  We pour this into 10 pound
plastic tubs and these became our seed.  We try to keep the seed/batch
ration at 10%.

We initially tried keeping inventory in the basement, but found that
extended 70 degree temps in the summer were too warm.  So we had a cooler
built.  A straight cooler such as used by farm stands to store vegetables
overnight.  We set the thermostat at 50 degrees.

Ideally the honey being processed should be at 60 degrees temp.  70 degrees
will not work.  65 degrees is a 'maybe'.  We make all our creamed honey in
350-400 lb. batches from December-February.  1st two weeks of march in a
pinch.

We bottle directly from the mixing tank.  If one were to let it settle
first, the 'foam' on top of jars (perhaps 1/4") could be avoided, but then
(1) what do you do with the foam? (2) the honey temp might rise from 60
degrees to 70 or higher (ambient temp.?) before bottling, and that will
cause problems.

Hope this helps,

Lloyd