From:
Paula Franke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 19:11:07 -0500
If this has been brought up already, my apologies for missing it. However,
there is legislation proposed for this new session of the Kentucky General
Assembly that I, personally as a small producer and farmers marketer, would
like to see moved along and approved:

HB 400 (BR 1644) - R. Wilkey, R. Thomas
     AN ACT relating to honey.
     Create a new section of KRS 217.005 to 217.215 to exempt persons who
sell less than 500 gallons of honey in a year from being required to process
the honey in a certified food processing establishment, or from being
required to obtain a permit.

     Jan 17-introduced in House
     Jan 18-to Agriculture and Small Business (H)

As I said, I'm a small producer, well under the 500 gal/yr, but I sell comb
honey and have a regular consumer market that can't be satisfied with the
small amount I have available. Other local producers are afraid to sell
their honey due to current state law that prohibits selling honey unless
it's "processed in a certified kitchen". I want to expand my beeyard for
honey production (currently 5 hives), but the certified kitchen requirement
just to cut the comb and package (and justification for that capital
expense)  it is beyond my financial means at this point in time.

I do sterilize my packaging, just like I do for my own home canning. But my
home kitchen can't be certified because it's a regular household ktichen.

I just wanted Kentucky honey producers to be aware of this proposed
legislation.

Paula Franke
Head of Happy Hollow Farm