Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:03:10 -0400
> In the U.S. we could care less about canola *but* as Allen has said hives
> coming out of canola many times are not thriving but I have zero experience
> with bees and canola.

My bees were crowded on seed canola for pollination, and trucked there
and back, mid-season.  The locations were picked deliberately to be in
desert-like areas with no other crops around.

The sprays were not neonics and I don't know if the neonic seed treatments
had come in at the time or not.  The sprays used, if any, were selected to be
ones with minimum threat to bees, since, after all the seed companies were
paying big money to bring in the bees and needed the beekeepers' respect.

So, I can't say that neonics figured in, unless there was a seed treatment I was
not aware of that somehow had an influence.

That I doubt, though, since we placed bees on commercial canola crops
whenever they were around, and gathered good crops from them.  These crops
were grown in much the same manner, but in better bee areas and with far
fewer hives per acre.