From:
Gordon Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 1995 20:57:33 GMT
James Hoyt writes:
> It occurs to me that this list can be a significant clearinghouse for
> reports on pesticide misuse. I, as a hobby bee-keeper, would like to be
> informed and educated regarding this problem and strongly encourage
> anyone with similar info to post it.

In principle this is a great idea which I support __but__, bee-l is very
multinational  and could become swamped with such reports, many of which
will be irrelevant to many subscribers.  I agree wholeheartedly with the
clearing  house  idea, but I think it would be a mistake on either bee-l
or sci.agriculture.beekeeping.

Thoughts:

Is there here perhaps a use for a newsgroup (maybe just  an  alt.)?   My
nntp machine will filter on keywords and I think most will, so one could
select only local reports where relevant.  You know the sort of thing, a
subject line with "LOCAL: Kansas" in it.  Or maybe a dedicated poisoning
mailing list?  Personally I'm less enthusiastic about the latter because
I  can  only  filter  mail  once I've received it (and I have to pay the
telephone bill whilst I download).

Pressure & education, with punitive action  when  appropriate,  *works*.
It's working for us in the UK -- pesticide hits are getting *rare*.

Regards,
--
Gordon Scott    [log in to unmask]         100332,3310 on CompuServe
Newsletter      [log in to unmask]      ditto