Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 07:26:06 -0800
> As much as I am a fiscal conservative
> the 246 million is not much.

Isn't it interesting that since it's federal money, "246 million is not much"?

>Let's do some math!  $246 million divided by the 2.4 million hives of bees
>in the US = $100 per hive for bee research!

It's that way with just about any federal program. If we took all the money  spent on farm programs to "save the family farmer" and just wrote direct checks to all the family farmers, they'd be the richest folks in the land!

Everyone knows the federal government is broke, and the problem is getting worse. Yet we all believe that our own pet program is well worth the money, and besides, my local bridge is cheap compared to that new aircraft carrier they're building. Who among us, when faced with unemployment, kids in college and a possible home foreclosure, would look at the new Best Buy ad and say, "Well, I spent $20,000 on a car last year, it would just be stupid not to buy this $800 flat screen TV"? Most people would accept the fact that they just could not afford it under those circumstances. But where the government is concerned, we all feel like it's someone else's money.