From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2015 00:11:02 -0500
> The difference between the days of Phillips and the past decade is stark, no matter how you slice it.

Interesting statement, unsupported by any information. I happen to be very familiar with Phillips' work and I don't agree at all. One hundred years ago, foulbrood was widespread and bees were being destroyed, often whole apiaries. Not only that, but Isle of Wight disease was wiping out bees in England. Losses were substantial. Beekeepers persevered.

Not too long ago, there was a teleconference in which Marla Spivak answered questions from the public. I asked if she thought the current bee problems were unprecedented, to which she replied "yes." I would have liked more information; I guess I posed the question wrongly.

I have spent years looking into this matter and if someone asks me that question, the answer tends to be a lot more than one word. By and large, most people prefer the short answer.

PLB