Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:10:46 -0600
> All molded plastic material outgas for awhile... I would think a web
> search would quickly determine the extent of outgas and whether the outgas
> is likely to be harmful.  Given the extent to which expanded polystyrene
> is used for food containers (think coffee cups). I doubt that any outgas
> is harmful.  But, I really have no idea.

I also doubt it is harmful in the toxic sense, but I wonder if the colonies
found it disruptive.  Once 'broken in' by a year's use, I did not observe
the same effect.

I am very aware that even putting in drawn combs which have been in storage
or from dead-outs into splits is disruptive and that it takes time for the
bees to accept them., whereas similar combs from active hives are
immediately accepted and occupied.

I also wonder about the fresh new wooden frames of wax-coated plastic
foundation I stuck into the outer edge of my overwintered hives the other
day.  They have a strong smell, and I ponder the effect.  I imagine that
impact to be small on a strong colony, but one of the reasons I place
foundation at position ten, in addition to making frame removal easier and
providing emergency expansion room, is to have the frames lose their 'new'
smell.

I'm contemplating getting some more Beemax boxes and am thinking that the
best time to put them into service is late spring or summer.  I am also
thinking that they may need to be laid in the sun for a few days before
assembly?