From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:48:26 -0800
Eric Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:to the effect that bee-havers would negate efforts to control the influx of AHBs.

IMHO getting rid of all beekeepers, apiaries, bee hives, etc. in a geographical area will do nothing to negate the influx of AHBs.  They will go the feral route, occupying voids anywhere they can be found, including old tires thrown away into a dump in the back woods.  The AHBs are going to be here whether there are any beekeepers around or not.  As responsible beekeepers it will become our lot to be the people who will be asked to eradicate AHB sites as they appear to public scrutiny.  If, in the public eye, we beekeepers can be seen as the keepers of the light (i.e. control/irradication of AHB populations) then we might be allowed to keep our "civilized" bees.

Mike

Mike  Located in southern Alabama

Yahoo! Photos