Date:
Thu, 23 May 91 21:01:47 GMT
        To those interested in keeping bees in houses, here is two-cents
worth.
       During the early through late 1800s there were many fancy wooden
hive designs patented.  Some were more like furniture and kept inside the
house with an entrance open to the outside.  The back of the hive could be
opened to "easily" remove the honey boxes in which the bees were forced to
build comb.  The same trend to keeping bees in houses could be seen in
England as people moved from skeps to wooden moveable frame hives.  If
you check the journals in the late 1800s and early 1900s you may find
designs for such houses.  However, the articles are not really recommendations
for keeping bees in that manner.
        Of course bees are kept in houses with observation hives, but the
hives are usually taken outside for manipulation.  But to finally answer your
question, keeping bees inside a building is not a practice I would recommend.
(I'm not referring to overwintering bees in shelters (or clamps) in northern
climates.)  Depending on your building, you may have to contend with high
temperatures in the summer.  Using a lighted smoker in a closed building
makes breathing difficult.  Lighting may also be a problem.  Sometimes it is
hard enough to find a queen when a hive is in the shade.  When the hive is
opened,  bees will fly to a light or window.  You would need to provide
escape vents so trapped bees can get out.  There will be some dead bees all
over the floor.  You will sweat profusely in the summer unless the building
is air conditioned.
        My suggestion would be to construct a lean-to against the garage or
a shed structure with one wall removed.  You can then grow a hedge or build
a fence to conceal the contents (hives) and to force the bees to fly above
head level.
        Good luck.