From:
Scott Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2017 21:04:13 -0800
Regarding running a single deep with a QE and stickies above, I ran two singles and two double deeps in this formate last summer (one of each in two locations 1.5 miles apart) on the margin of urban Livermore, CA.  Queens were all new in the Spring. Both singles had 9.5 frames of brood (approx. 85%), bee bread with some nectar/honey and both produced two shallows of cut comb in late Spring, early Summer. Not much I know! The double deeps had about the same amount of brood between both deeps, spread throughout, but only produced just over one shallow of cut comb each in the same time frame. I did have two queens replaced, for some reason I couldn't figure out. I was really quite impressed by the amount of brood in the singles! The singles were both expanded into doubles for late Summer and have packed away a full deep for Winter (mild as they are here). Eucalyptus are currently blooming, loquat and citrus are due next month. These colonies will all be split in early March and run as singles through early June for comb production.
Scott Ball