From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 06:53:43 -0700
> Some years ago I read of a method of purifying beeswax using wax melted in
> 10% water with a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide added (at just less than
> boiling point) the H2O2 boiled vigorously with very small bubbles wetting
> any particles that were in suspension in the wax. (there also may have been
> a bleaching action due to the H2O2).

I used to bleach dark beeswax by heating it in a tank (drum) with some water
below and adding HCl (muriatic acid).  When heated sufficiently from the bottom,
the boiling ensured good agitation.

FWIW, Acid eliminates the sponginess that can occur wax that is heated over
neutral or alkali water.  I posted on this topic in more detail some years back.

The process lightened the wax quite a lot, and cheaply.

Not sure the chemical implications, though.

allen