From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 20:23:41 -0600
I know the list has often discussed the proper temperature to which honey should
be heated - if at all.  I have adopted 105 degrees fahrenheit for my uses.  I have
modified an old freezer (in a way I think I hear of here on the list) to hold this
temperature for my newly bottled honey. One aspect of heating honey that I don't
recall having discussed is the effect of the length of time held at an elevated
temperature.  With my freezer-warmer, it is ease to hold the temperature constant
for as long as I want.  With the old pot of water on the stove, one can raise the
temperature in an uncontrolled way but only for a short period of time.  Assuming
that my 105 degrees is a good number, are there any adverse effects to holding it
there for a lengthy time?  I find the honey that I bottle is clarified nicely in
two or three days and it is nice not to have it crystallize while sitting on the
shelf.  The flavor appears not to be diminished, but I especially wonder about the
enzymes that make honey desirable.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, IL  USA