From:
Leo Walford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 15:27:11 +0000
     Fellow beekeepers

     I know there has been some discussion over the last few days about
     what constitutes organic honey production and whether it's really
     possible. I don't know whether this has been prompted by the impending
     USDA legislation (?) changing the definition of "organic" to mean
     pretty much what non-organic is now. I only heard of this legislation
     this morning, but I wanted to raise it, as I think it has profound
     implications for everyone, not least small farmers (and I think
     beekeepers would often view themselves as small farmers, with a
     greater than average commitment to not using chemicals).

     I do not know the details of the legislation, but it appears that it
     will not only allow farmers from describing what are currently
     distinctly non-organic practices (such as use of antibiotics and
     growth promoters) as organic, it will ultimately go further by denying
     other farmers the right to produce foods in any way different.
     Effectively, it could lead to the end of the production of organic
     food.

     I realise that this may appear to be a largely US issue (and as a
     Limey, you are probably wondering what it has to do with me), but the
     fact is that US food standards end up being the de facto world
     standards, through the operation of GATT and the World Trade
     Organization. Effectively, this legislation could lead to the banning
     of organic food production worldwide.

     Regardless of whether you farm organically, or eat organic food, it is
     surely not a good thing that people choosing to farm in a way which is
     clearly not harmful* (even if it is equally not any more beneficial)
     should be prevented from doing so.

     * except to those people who would wish to sell chemicals to the
     farmers and who see organic food production and consumption growing
     rapidly

     As small (or large) farmers of bees (and maybe other things) I urge
     you to protest to the USDA about this potential curtailment of your
     (and your neighbours, near or far) rights to choose to farm in a
     certain way.

     If you think this posting is wholly inappropriate, or you want to
     flame me for bad grammar, or whatever, please do it to me, not the
     list. Also, if you've got any suggestions about how I can lobby the
     USDA further, please let me know.

     Leo Walford
     London, UK
     one hive