From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 21:56:47 -0600
Hi Bill and All:

>For those who do not know it, and I doubt if there are any on this list,
>Maples are one of the best and earliest sources of nectar for our bees
>in Maine and I expect elsewhere. So if we start to see bee kills in
>these areas, please contact your state inspector, if there is one, to
>get samples of the bees.

The problem is that imidacloprid is metabolized in the bee and most can not
be detected after four hours.  So sampling the bees is not effective.  The
place that is a good place to look is freshly gathered maple pollen from a
pollen trap on a hive.  Samples should be frozen and *PROTECTED FROM SUNLIGHT*.

Regards,
Stan