From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:09:09 -0500
The report from Hackenburg was from California and Almonds, so I have
some difficulty matching that with any pumpkin pollination and pesticide
contact. Maybe someone can clarify that, but I re-watched the end of the
program and the report was as of right now for his bees in Almonds. So
when were the bees lost?

If they were lost last year, I would have hoped that the researchers
could have identified the problem, since Hackenburg's bees are the
poster children for eastern US CCD. If they were lost during transit and
at Almonds, then it certainly is not Imid..

As far as Imid being implicated, that was directly from Hackenburg. Most
all the others who were interviewed were much more circumspect. Pettis
said it could be a bunch of things and that Imid was not found in many
CCD hives.

Also, I would be careful with any direct coupling of pumpkin pollination
with Imid and colony die-off especially since Imid would not be a
pesticide of choice for pumpkin fields. The program did not make that
leap. That implication could be actionable by the grower, since he is
blamed for doing something (applying Imid) when he probably has not. The
grower actually came off well since he was willing to pay top dollar for
pollination and recognized the importance of bees.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine