From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2011 07:20:25 -0700

> >My rule of thumb with formic (as is Bill R.'s) is you need to see some
> *slight* brood kill for the kill level to be right which is easy to see
> Doug.

I've got an article of my most recent test of MAQS coming out in ABJ, with a
photo of the brood kill.  It is variable from hive to hive, dependent upon
ventilation, and apparently some innate difference in bee response to formic
that varies from hive to hive.

In most hives, with MAQS applied without added ventilation, the bees removed
some brood, and the queens stopped laying for about 4 days.  Overall, there
was about an 8-day break.  However, some hives largely "ignore" the strips,
and you don't see as much affect upon the brood.

Jeremy (who also posts to the List) recently used MAQS on hives with high
mite levels, yet saw mites still alive after treatment.  I do not know
whether the male mites were killed, which would have a delayed effect.  I am
interested in hearing his report a month or so from now.

Randy Oliver