From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:09:37 -0600
Kenn Tuckey wrote:

> In Canada we have a popular building product available called oriented strand
> board - sometimes called chip board or Aspenite.  It comes in 4' X 8' sheets and
> is quite a bit cheaper than normal plywood.

> Our concern is in the glue or curing chemicals that may be used.  Any comments
> will be appreciated.

Kenn -

I would be more concerned with OSB's particular properties and how they
would work with bee equipment than I would with it's glues or chemicals.
 You can always seal the wood with paint to keep any undesirable
elements of OSB from effecting the bees.  OSB does not handle moisture
well and will swell substantially if not treated.  For cheap,
inexpensive material, OSB meets that criteria but don't expect to get a
long life out of it when used for hive equipment. I've not used it for
this purpose but have worked with it first hand in the building trade
and it's not worth the few dollars saved over plywood when you see what
happens to it in certain situations.

As long as you know what you're getting for the few dollars saved, use
it accordingly.

Regards,

-Barry

--