From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2011 12:03:22 +0000
Recent report summarizes what is known about CCD, and what the overall impact has been ion US beekeeping:

Based on information provided in the media, attentive readers who have tracked the
annual reports since 2006 might infer that managed U.S. honey bee populations are nearly gone.
They might also believe that the collective is incurring billions of dollars in damages.
Particularly astute readers might, however, look at the prices of apples, pears, cherries and
blueberries and wonder why -- n the face of impending doom -- they can still afford to put these
items in their children’s lunches and on their breakfast tables.

Our results suggest that there has been no
discernible impacts of CCD on either colony numbers or on the prices of packaged bees and
queens. We find it plausible that CCD has caused a portion of recent increases in almond
pollination fees (but not in the pollination fees for other crops). We estimate the impacts of
CCD-induced increase in pollination fees on U.S. consumers to be small. We estimate the
impacts on beekeeper costs to be modest, and possibly less than their increased revenue due to
CCD-induced increases in pollination fees.

The factor in least elastic supply is almost certainly beekeepers’ skill and management.

COLONY COLLAPSE AND THE ECONOMIC IMPLICATIONS OF BEE DISEASE
Randal R. Rucker, Montana State University
Walter N. Thurman, North Carolina State University
Michael Burgett, Oregon State University