From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:53:41 -0400
I have been having some discussions with my Canada Food Inspection Agency
inspector about canada grades (up until now my honey has been sold in
province only, and needed no grade).

Canada No. 1 is under 17.8% moisture and free of material residue on an 80
mesh screen.

Canada No. 2 is under 18.6% moisture and free of material residue on a 60
mesh screen.

Canada No. 3 is under 20% moisture.  There doesn't appear to be filtering
restrictions.

Now, IMHO honey will not run through an 80 mesh screen unless it is pretty
hot (at any reasonable rate).

Question:  How much pollen (in terms of % of what would be found in
"settled" honey) would remain on after 80 mesh filtering?  after 60?

The inspector said it is illegal to label the honey as "raw" or "unheated".
I asked whether it would be permissible to label the honey as coarse
filtered, or just "Canada No. 3, but with under 17.8% moisture", or
something to that effect.  He was going to get back to me on it.  Has anyone
dealt with this before that might have some advice?

Regards, Stan