From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 17:11:06 -0600
Hello Allen & all,
I know Allen has made up his mind that Imidacloprid is the problem in
France. I honestly don't know but I have read the two articles posted and
they certainly seem to invite more questions than answers.
The French beekeepers claim .45 million dead hives. I am sure those are real
figures.
The French beekeepers believe that Bayer and Imidacloprid is at fault but so
far cannot prove their case but have caused enough concern for the
government to stop the sales and take a look> However a quote from the
article:
"The decision might be reversed if fresh compelling evidence emerged,it
added"
So the victory for the beekeepers could be temperary.
Bayer's side of the story seems sound also. They say the product is sold in
70 countries and the only problem has been in France. Is this true?
Bayer seems to be interested in finding if Imidacloprid is indeed the cause
of the dead hives. With those kind of losses it seems the problem wouldn't
be hard to locate. Quote from article:
Bayer says scientists must look at other causes for the bee population
decline and points out the problem has affected beekeepers across the
country,INCLUDING many in regions where Gaucho is not used. Is this true?
If Gaucho is found to be the cause then all the worlds beekeepers owe the
French beekeepers a debt of gratitude. If Gaucho is not the problem then
whats going on with the French beehives?
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa,Missouri