Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:05:15 GMT
>>It can be useful, occasionally it will yield a  super or two, at least in the the southern part of the UK. The honey  crystallises extremely fast.

Is ivy so common in your area or is it such a prolific producer of nectar?

In my neck of the woods, ivy is not common.  I would not expect surplus from it.  But it could be useful in up-keeping the brood-rearing.

And I am looking for ornamental vines to plant in the garden that would of use to the bees as well.  I have recently checked into kudzu and everything that I've read says I would not be able to contain it.  They say porcelain berry is invasive as well.

I will plant a hardy passion fruit vine next year.  I've heard it was good for the bees and produces edible fruit.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY