From:
Tom Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 1995 13:13:45 AST
I don't think that average means much for cases like this.  I probably get
around 10 stings per year, BUT. . . Learning to handle the bees smoothly and
confidently makes all the difference.  Individual genetics of your particular
bees makes a lot of difference.  What has been going on around the hive makes a
lot of difference.

I use no protection from stings, but do use smoke.  I believe learning to use a
smoker is one of the most important things a "hobby" beekeeper can do.  Even
then the stings I get are usually due to some less than bright thing I did.  Of
course I live in coastal Alaska.  Temperatures are more moderate than mast other
places.  I have never kept bees in hot weather.

As part of our local associations "Young Beekeepers" program, I worked with a
high school age boy who was interested in bees (also almost every other animal
you might think of).  One day we found his bees were extremely testy.  He had
set up a jury-rigged entrance feeder which was open to other critters on the
outside of the hive.  Bumble Bees and yellow jackets had found it and were also
helping themselves to what was inside the hive.  I had him get rid of the mess
and in a couple weeks everything was back to its mellow norm.

I do know that I have had very mellow bees from a shipment that many others
claimed were pretty agressive.  A lot still depends on the attitude and skill of
the beekeeper.

If you can find a long time hobbiest who does not use veil, suit and gloves you
can learn a lot.

Tom Elliott
Eagle River, Alaska

P.S.  My experience is that unless you are working more than a couple hives it
is better to clean off propolis than to use gloves.  Almost all beekeepers, in
my admittedly modest experience, who use gloves had at best testy bees.

Enjoy your bees