From:
Gordon Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 18:44:10 +0100
On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Mark D. Egloff wrote:

>      Solution:  Took a wooden inner cover with the open hole and drilled,
>      using my 2.5 inch door knob drill bit, four additional holes.  These
>      were covered with 8 to the inch screen (hardware cloth, for those in
>      the US).

This is much the same as many people in my area use. We have
smaller holes (about 1.25) and omit the screen.

Our ventilation on the telescopic roof is typically via a cutout
under the metal cover, which stops rain blowing in and allows the
roof to close tight. We seal *this* opening with mesh as it's
well away from the nest and the bees propolise it less. We also
put a baffle near this opening to help keep the light out.

Provided the bees have *room*, it doesn't matter that they can
get above the cover board, as they only build comb below the
board by choice. If I'm uncertain whether they have enough room,
I'll put the next super above the cover board ready, so that if
they *do* go up there, at least they build where I want them to.

I have a 1.5" deep surround on top of the coverboard, so I can
just flip it opside down in the spring when I put on pollen
supplement.  Sometimes they do then build comb under it, but
it normally comes off ok. It works for me. Hope the pic helps.

        +---------------------------------------------  <- metal
        | +-------------------------------------------  <- wood/OSB
        | |  +--------+-+-----------------------------
        | +--+:       | |
        |     :<-mesh | |
        |     :       | |
        |  +-+:       | | <- ply baffle, wider then
vent ->    | |+------+| |    the mesh covered vent.
4" wide   /  ||      || |
         |   |+------+
         |   |   |       | <- coverboard surround

Regards,
--
Gordon Scott   [log in to unmask]      [log in to unmask] (work)
The Basingstoke Beekeeper (newsletter)      [log in to unmask]