From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 13:34:36 -0400
One thing I have never been able to reconcile with the argument
that swarms beget swarms is that I have been taught that swarming
is a natural instinct. As a beekeeper, we thwart that instinct by
management. So why are bees that swarm in a bee yard different
than bees that swarm outside that beeyard?
Both are natural. Plus, don't swarms make the best starting hive?
They build up fast and usually give excess honey the first year,
compared to packages.
And as far as selecting for swarming, isn't there a genetic pool
out there in the drones that have a little to do with what kind
of bees you end up with? The queen is not alone in shaping her
offsprings hives. So, unless you are totally isolated, you are as
likely to end up with couch potatoes as you are with swarmers.
I have been inbreeding by splitting hives and letting them raise
thier own queens for the past five years. I was told when I
started that they would get mean. It has not happened. Instead,
they are disease free and tracheal mite infestation has dropped
to near zero.
But a package of Italians I bought some seven years ago was about
as mean a hive I have ever seen.
I have come to the conclusion that Beekeeping is still more art
than science.
Bill T
Bath, ME