Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 17:22:52 GMT
>>I did not want to taste it
Why not?  A taste of OA won't hurt you at all!

I did not see a smiley :) at the end of your line so I don't know if
you were teasing, Randy.  [Prolonged] OA consumption can lead to
kidney stones according to some sources.  Better not taste it
especially since one does not know for sure if the concentration has
changed.  I know, if anything, you'd expected the concentration to
drop over time but still... better safe than sorry.

>>Inexpensive pHydrion papers will test it quickly for Ph.  To test
for oxalate ion, just get a little calcium chloride (for melting ice
on sidewalks), mix a little calcium chl solution with a little
dissolved OA, and you will immediately get a white precipitate of
calcium oxalate.

Very interesting.  Will have to try it one day.  Shows who's got a
good chemistry background. :)

I'd like to understand how much more acidic is OA sugar solution over
honey (which also contains OA and is acidic).

Waldemar