From:
Randall Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2014 19:58:43 -0400
On 6/17/2014 12:07 PM, Jerry Bromenshenk wrote:
> Can someone point me to the latest information on the initiative to establish a National Honey Standard

Does this have the info you are looking for?
http://www.fda.gov/food/guidanceregulation/guidancedocumentsregulatoryinformation/labelingnutrition/ucm389501.htm

"On March 8, 2006, the American Beekeeping Federation and several other
honey-related associations submitted a citizen petition requesting that
FDA adopt a U.S. standard of identity for honey based on the 2001
Revised Codex Alimentarius Commission’s Standard for Honey (reference
1). The petitioners asserted that a U.S. standard of identity for honey
would achieve the following goals: (1) clarify what the term “honey”
means with respect to the food’s composition and therefore promote
honesty and fair dealing in the interest of consumers; (2) combat
economic adulteration of honey by aiding enforcement and industry
compliance; and (3) promote honesty and fair dealing within the food
trade in general, where pure honey is used as an ingredient in other foods.

In a letter of October 5, 2011, we denied the petition because the
petition did not provide reasonable grounds for FDA to adopt the Codex
standard for honey. We also concluded that the petitioners’ goals can be
achieved by our existing authorities and a standard of identity for
honey would not promote honesty and fair dealing in the interest of
consumers (reference 2). To address the labeling issues relevant to the
petition and to reinforce existing laws and regulations to the industry,
we are issuing this guidance document, which includes a summary of the
current legal authorities that are most relevant to the labeling of
honey and questions and answers on the labeling of honey."

Draft Guidance for Industry: Proper Labeling of Honey and Honey
Products, April 2014

Randall Austin