From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 19:46:26 +0900

>Does the opening of the beehive affect it's production?

If hives are worked in ideal conditions where minimal smoke is used, there
would be no detectable affect on production.  I have seen reports that
smoking hives can affect the bees for 3 days and certainly an invasive
inspection should be avoided unless you are diagnosing a problem.  For a
hobbyist I would recommend a period of 2 weeks between opening the hive as
you are not likely to detect changes in less time.  As a commercial
beekeeper we work hives at least once a month with a full inspection of
brood box in early spring, again during swarming season,  a month after the
honey flow ceases and late autumn, plus investigation of any hive which is
not up to the standard of others in the same apiary.  Say 4 times a year
minimum full inspection.

The width of entrance is narrowed to give the bees less area they must
defend and to assist in warming the hive.   I don't bother but I do not have
extremes of temperature to deal with and strengthen weak hives by requeening
or uniting bees.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island