From:
Donald Aitken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2013 22:17:44 -0600
Hi Wayne:

I have kept bees for about 40 years. Last year, I had a full knee
replacement in November. It was healed and usable about the first of May.
The surgeon was fairly adamant that I should not lift and carry large
numbers of objects weighing more than 25 lb. The prosthesis will carry more
that this, but will wear out more quickly, he says.

I developed a system using 2x4 lumber and a 500 lb capacity lever chain
hoist to move the honey supers from the hive into the truck. Using escape
boards instead of my bee blower seemed desirable and let me put a bottom
super on below the escape board. I have enough equipment for 100 hives but
only did 50 last year.

There is another knee replacement due this November and I am fairly
confident that I can keep bees for another 3 years. The new knee is quite
pain free, but it does not bend as far as the old one. This makes climbing
ladders a little clumsy, and kneeling is not easy. It is very important to
do the recommended exercises to keep the knee flexible. I hope to do better
on the second one.

                                    Best regards

                                    Donald Aitken