From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2014 12:44:24 -0400
New research confirms N. ceranae is less virulent than N. apis. The following is quoted for review purposes only.

> Nosema ceranae infection is ubiquitous in western honey bees, Apis mellifera, in the United States and the pathogen has apparently replaced Nosema apis in colonies nationwide. Displacement of N. apis suggests that N. ceranae has competitive advantages but N. ceranae was significantly less infective and less virulent than N. apis in commercially available lineages of honey bees in studies conducted in Illinois and Texas.

> Our results provide comparisons for evaluating research using different ages of bees and pathogen dosages and clarify some controversies. In addition, comparisons among studies suggest that the mixed lineages of US honey bees may be less susceptible to N. ceranae infections than are European bees or that the US isolates of the pathogen are less infective and less virulent than European isolates.

Mortality experiments suggested that N. ceranae is less virulent than N. apis when
tested in the same conditions, a result that held up using two different experimental methods.
These results differed from those reported by Paxton et al., (2007) and Higes et al., (2007)

Mortality was similar or lower than N. apis mortality in two trials and was statistically
insignificant over the three trials in our study, each using different colonies.

our overall results and those of previous studies (Pettis et al. 2013; Chaimanee et al. 2012)
suggest that in the US more N. ceranae spores are required to produce
infection in 100% of inoculated hosts and virulence of N. ceranae is lower than that of N. apis.

Huang, W-F., Solter, L., Aronstein, K., Huang, Z., Infectivity and virulence of Nosema ceranae and Nosema apis in commercially available North American honey bees, Journal of Invertebrate Pathology (2014),