From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 00:28:58 +0200
David Eyre wrote:

> There has been a number of posts regarding emergency queen cells recently
> and IMO the discussion became clouded with other references to swarm
> cells. Not the same thing at all.

>         Two different scenarios, producing, in one case acceptable queens but the
> other only producing a temporay solution.

I fully agree with David here. I see no reason for leaving to the bees to make
a new queen in a split when it will take the beekeeper only a couple of minutes
to produce a cell from a selected breeder queen. To produce your own cells
is little work and well spent time. Remember that there will be genetically pure
drones from a F1 queen, so those queens hatching out will mate with drones
that are of last years breed. By using a number of breeders and altering them
you will get uniform and pleasant bees without much work. I have done this
for some time and I'm very pleased with the result. There are also ways to
put cells into queen right hives for requeening this way with little work involved.

--
Regards

P-O Gustafsson, Sweden
[log in to unmask]  http://www.algonet.se/~beeman/