From:
Mick Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 16:28:36 +0000
I am mailing this to Pedro Rodriguez as well as to the list because I
understand that he has withdrawn from the list.

I am a regular reader of the list but a very infrequent contributor - I
guess there are many members like me, possibly even a majority. The lack of
tolerance displayed recently by a group with a strong common interest
dismays me. We all suffer a common problem with varroa and there are many
possible paths to a solution. Who knows which one will succeed?

I am an academic with many year's experience ( so many that I'm about to
retire and spend much more time with my bees) so I understand the need for
thoroughness in research. What I have learnt is that ALL research is based
on someone else's ideas so why all the fuss about Pedro not being the first
to use oil (mineral or otherwise). I also understand that ideas need to be
tested properly before we can be sure how effective they are. It seems from
Pedro's comments so far that he hasn't done enough testing to qualify as
scientific proof - but has he claimed this?

What he has conveyed to me is that he has tried a treatment which he is
convinced DOES work and which I think MIGHT work. It would be a disaster for
me and many like me if the intolerance of a few members prevents me from
learning enough to decide whether I want to try the method ior not.
Mick Mayhew
01203-838910