Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 11:44:01 -0600
Hi All!

Since there have been multiple posts on the use of brood/drawn comb to
keep swarms from absconding, I thought I'd follow-up from Terry's
original post.

Pulling out a frame or two of brood, or even the use of drawn foundation
is a great way to hive a swarm and keep it from absconding.  However,
Terry posted for 'help' because' he only had undrawn foundation
available.  Those of use that collect a bunch of swarms each year likely
can't afford the time or 'expense' from pulling a few frames of brood
from our best hives just for a new swarms.  Brood will definitely keep a
swarm happy but drawn foundation will only 'likely' keep them from
absconding.

Swarms have a great tendency to draw out new foundation, so I'll feed
the heck out of them after dumping them onto all new foundation - which
saves time, brood and the demoralization (however small) of my existing
hives.  Later in the season (say mid-June for Colorado's weather) I'll
start to give them drawn comb or combine them with other hives.

If you hive a swarm on new foundation, try to keep them (all) there
without a queen excluder, especially if you're using plastic
foundation.  You may come back to an empty feeder and hive.

Happy Beekeeping,

Matthew Westall
Castle Rock, CO