From:
Robert Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 10:02:40 +1300
At 11:14 AM -0500 01/2/8, Kim Flottum, Editor Bee Culture wrote:
>... are there two privets?

        In northern NZ we have two weeds, the 'oriental' or Japanese privet
-  with smooth-margin leaves about 3in long  -  and the 'European' privet
with wavy-margin leaves about 1in long and tiny but abundant flowers with
plently white pollen that make the whole tree look almost white.
        When the Euro privet is my main local pollen source, bees normally
the soul of gentleness become very keen to sting.  This pollen may well be
fully nutritious to bee larvae  -  I'm not aware of any studies on it  -
but it sure provokes workers into a bad temper.
        Ecologists have been pressing for a couple decades to have them
both declared noxious weeds as they are serious invaders of many habitats
and have little to recommend them.  I've not heard of any beekeepers who
particularly value them; and if any do, I'd urge them to give way to wider
ecological considerations.

-
Robt Mann
consultant ecologist
P O Box 28878   Remuera, Auckland 1005, New Zealand
                (9) 524 2949