From:
David Gaida <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 11:25:03 -0500
Vince; All:

Thanks for your help in these matters.  I really appreciate the time.

I have been doing an informal study here in Kentucky.  Talking to every
beekeeper  I can find.  (State bee meeting,  telephone, in person)  And I
am finding something disturbing.

All of the beekeepers that have more than one colony, many with up to 40
years experience, have suffered a loss of bee colonies.  Similar to our
loss.  Strong, healthy bees one day with no evidence of heavy varroa
advancing to weak colonies to death or absconding within a week or two at
the most.  All beekeepers did their spring treatments as recommended, some
used grease patties, FGMO, essential oils.  No common thread here, other
than that all treated.  No beekeeper reported finding any AFB or EFB.

Most of these beekeepers stated a smaller honey harvest this year.  All
assumed it was a result of our drought.

We have two weak colonies left that we placed on top of strong colonies.
The only two weak ones that have not died.  We will be shipping some of
these ladies  to Beltsville for study.

Dave and I are leaning toward tracheal mite problems, in spite of the
grease patties.  The question arises about the concentration of this kill
off.  Or maybe it is not concentrated and I have just not asked everyone.

Personally, I really wish Kentucky had an apiary inspection program.
Someone who could do this right.

I do not take feeling like dumber than dirt lightly, maybe there is
something here.

Will keep you informed.

Judy in Kentucky, USA