Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 08:27:16 EDT
  What I have found while working bees is that being hot and uncomfortable
and overheated is far more bothersome than a few bee stings.  A sting or two
is painfull for a minute or so but being uncomfortable lasts the whole
beekeeping workday.
   White painters overalls a light colored T shirt and a string tie veil to
keep the bees out of my ears and nose seems to be enough.
    All of the other gear is in a box somewhere in case I get a nasty
supersedeure.
When you have to wade through nasty bees try your bee suit and sweat pants
and a sweatshirt. It's very hot but it keeps you from getting a few hundred
stings. I tend to dampen the sweats with cold water. Also a 50 lb onion sack
over the veil and your shoulders helps keep them off of your neck.
   These are the things I learned when I was determined to requeen a hive so
aggressive as to have bees completely cover the veil. I took about 25 stings
despite the extra protection split the hive into 3 hives killed the queen and
in the course of a week the bees killed the 3 new queens despite being
introduced in a  box with the sugar plug and nail hole. As a result I stacked
all the boxes together and blew them full of sulfur smoke and sealed them up
overnight.
   Sometimes my bees just won't read the same beekeeping literature as I do.