From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2017 19:25:39 -0400
How will you determine viable short of mating and waiting??

Thanks Charlie, what I meant is viable in the sense that a queen emerges from the cell and not any of the other things you have been finding- I still don't know if the larva is even female. The odd thing in my case is the timing. The egg they ended up accepting appeared in the cell on the fourth day but could have been placed late on the third day - I guess. Anyway, after the second egg was policed out three full days had passed since I placed the donor frame in the colony and I was thinking it was too late and was actually in the process of installing a fresh frame of eggs when I saw the cell with the egg. I always think of eggs hatching in three days but maybe they can go to four days or even longer.

Bill Hesbach
Cheshire, CT.