From:
Eric Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:10:56 -0400
First, thanks to Charlie and Peter for the excellent information you posted
appreciate the veteran advice.

Your answers have led to more questions, as things always do with the bees.

One question has to do with competition for feed.  As the cells are still
getting fed and drawn out, would it be better not to have other (or very
much other) open brood to compete for the nurse bees' attention?  I've seen
the competition argument applied to swarm boxes in the case of cell
starters.  Of course, it makes sense to draw the nurse bees to the area
near the cells, and that was a useful reminder of a point I had essentially
forgotten.

Another question has to do with separating queens from the developing
cells.  I'm wondering if a swarm tendency is being used to encourage cell
development, might that same tendency discourage the established queen from
tearing down any cells?  Is the likelihood of a swarm really not affected
by whether the cells are separated from the queen?  I haven't ever had a
cell finisher swarm, but I've had lots of other hives swarm with queen
cells less developed than the up to 14-day old cells in my cell finishers.
Can anyone explain why?

Could anyone tell me any more about the commonalities and differences of
the swarm tendency and the tendency to care for cells in a normal cell
finisher?  I'm thinking there are probably ways to encourage bees to care
for queen cells without encouraging them to swarm as much as other methods
might.  What would some key factors be in minimizing the swarm tendency
while still encouraging excellent care of cells?

Thanks everyone,

Eric