From:
JOHN IANNUZZI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 1995 07:27:46 -0400
> To start our next discussion, I have the following survey question:
>
> How many of  you:
>
> a) use one size of box (e.g.; deeps or mediums) for both brood boxes and
> supers.
>
> b) use one size box (deeps) for brood boxes and a smaller size (mediums
> and/or shallows) for supers?
>
> Personally, I use all mediums, with three mediums making up the brood area.
>  The result is all boxes are completely interchangeable, and are of
> manageable weight.  I also always have some drawn comb of the right size.
>  The downside is that where the deep users have 20 brood area frames, I have
> 30.
>
> Any other thoughts?
>

> William Miller
> Gaithersburg, MD

Bill,

  1 I didn't know U were on B-L Albany! What a small world!
  2 Years ago I wrote an article for GBC (ABJ?) advocating
a new size frame which would fit into three shallow supers
put together so that I would have only one size box to
contend with: shallow--not mediums or deeps--because I
use only shallows as honey supers--the other two sizes are
too heavy to manage when full.

  3. Young bucks out there don't realize this until
the aging process creeps up on them. It's real (I'm
approaching 69)
  4. Naturally these remarks do not apply to the
man/lady? who operates a single hive!  I had 30
at one time, sunk to 4 and now am up to 24---2, 2,
many 4 an oldster!
Cheers.

Your neighbor in nearby Ellicott City (founded 1772) MD
Jack the B-man