From:
Gordon Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 1995 18:26:08 GMT
Dave Green wrote:
>  [log in to unmask] (John D Schneider):
> >First of all, I love beekeeping, and have the highest regard for it,
> >both as a profession and as a hobby......
>
>    I won't flame you; you raise some good points, and I am  inclined to agree
> with you on philosophical grounds. But you are missing a couple of very
> relevant input points......

Indeed!

As an example, the value of beekeeping to the UK economy is difficult to
estimate,  however  I  believe most estimates put it between 300 million
UKP and 3 billion UKP. Britain's governmental investment  in  beekeeping
is  a  few  tens  of  thousands  of UKP. British beekeepers collectively
probably make only a few hundred thousand.

Most UK beekeepers are hobbyists and those who aren't, frankly scratch a
living  --  nobody  here  gets  rich  in  beekeeping,  few if any people
anywhere get rich beekeeping.  As a hobbyist, the money I make  goes  to
help  fund  my hobby.  In truth, I don't make enough to cover the costs,
but then that isn't my primary concern -- I do  it  for  the  beekeeping
(even  if the little beasties did give me a pasting today).  By the way,
for those of you who earn a living in this game, I know it's not perfect
but  I  make  a point of _not_ undercharging for honey, wax, pollination
etc.  (Well actually, I help out a couple  of  local  guys  occasionally
when the pollination contracts are a bit tight and they need a few extra
bees).

The chemical companies here openly  admit  that  they  are  unlikely  to
follow  the  present  treatments  for  varroa with anything else because
"there's  no  money  in  it".   Directly  they  are  undoubtedly  right,
indirectly  they  are  almost  certainly  wrong.   But then who supports
infrastucture in a go-getting economy.

I sincerely hope that Dave's fears of a famine are  unduly  pessimistic.
I believe that the human race rises well to these challenges, even if as
so often at the  eleventh  hour.   However  some  things  change  _very_
quickly  and  this  may be one of them.  Beekeeping _could_ collapse and
the effects would be catastrophic.  Famine *is*  a  possibility  and  if
it happens, it won't be 'just' America, it will be the whole world!

That's enough railing.  To echo Dave's  first  line,  this  is  *not*  a
flame.  It *is* a statement of real concern for beekeeping in particular
and ecology in general.

Best regards,
--
Gordon Scott    [log in to unmask]         100332,3310 on CompuServe
Newsletter      [log in to unmask]      ditto