From:
tomas mozer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 20:14:06 EDT
greetings garth et al.!  have some questions you all may be able to
answer...
can anyone update me on the "capensis syndrome"? is this like the
equivalent of
"africanization" in the americas? how far has it spread: in particular,
has it reached
durban? does anybody keep european bees in the affected areas? are there
any
 known correlations between bee types and aethina tumida
infestation/damage?
one reason for my curiosity is a recent interception/extermination of a
feral hive in a
florida(usa) seaport on a barge loaded in durban which arrived here with
about 100 lbs.of bees/comb (confirmed african by morphometrics) after a
month at sea with at least one stopover (in venezuela)...certainly a
scenario suggestive of a possible means of introduction of more than one
already confirmed exotic to these shores; reminds me of the supposed old
chinese curse about living in interesting times, with a global village
adaptation about living in shifting paradigms...

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]