From:
michael palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 16:30:30 -0400
Allen Dick wrote:

>   use> piano wire to separate the burr/bridge comb...

> A good trick in a case like this is to lay the hive down backwards, using a
> ladder or some such support

Unless the hive has been worked recently, most any hive can be tipped onto its
back without any support. I reverse all by colonies, and all (some 3 stories)
are tipped first.

> As you separate the boxes, one at a time, you can scrape the top bars and
> bottom bars and set the hive back up.

Oh...you use the ladder to set it back up?

Kirk Webster and Bill Mraz have each made a special device for tipping hives. It
acts a bit like a hand truck, or barrel truck. Engage the forks under the back
of the hive, and pull the hive backward onto the tipper. The hive is raised to a
workable height.
    Bill's came first, I think. His is made of metal tubing, and is quite slick.
Very engineered (he was an engineer with General Dynamics.) It even has a basket
that catched the burr comb scrapings.
    Kirk's is made of hardwood...furniture grade appliance, as is everything
else he builds. Besides the basket, it has places to hang combs.

    I have put this on the top of my list for next winter.

Mike