Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2018 11:50:13 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
An article titled:”Nutritional balance of essential amino acids and carbohydrates of the adult worker honey bee depends on age”
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4021167/

Richard Cryberg wrote: I think I am a bee keeper.  I know very well my bees eat blood vigorously given the chance.  It seems highly attractive to them and a natural food  they desire when it is available.  I am sure mine are not some kind of mutant and the first to eat blood.  So, your statement is simply wrong.   I do think the strong emotions expressed against this idea illustrate that some in our society have gotten way too far from having any understanding of where food comes from.  Chickens are also carnivores given the chance.  Blood guts and all.  Does this mean it is revolting to eat chicken?

I stand corrected that I said honey bees don’t eat blood reading that your bees do.  Maybe they are zombees and don’t know what they’re doing.  They forage on all sorts of stuff while OUT of their hives that we keep them in but that doesnt mean I’m going to put a plate of chicken guts, blood, whatever, in there because they “seem” to like it.  Again, honey bees are not carnivorous by nature. If I decide to feed my dog a watermelon everyday and he liked it, would I do that? No. I love a good steak and hamburgers, and unfortunately hot dogs, and roast pork? my favorite, even though what pigs eat is, yes, gross.  But I like roast pork.  It seems like everyone, for arguments sake, is comparing people with honey bees.  And yes I do have strong emotions and like to argue, but not for arguments sake. For some reason this idea just puts beekeeping and honey in a different category, it crosses a line for me and many others.  We are the keepers of our bees and do everything possible to keep them healthy and “natural”.
> 
> A quick internet search:  “The honey bee is a herbivorous animal and therefore lives purely on the nutrients from plants. Honey bees prefer to ingest the sweeter plant produce such as nectar, pollen, fruits and even honey.”

No more from me on this subject; I’m sure the fanfare will be loud and boisterous. 😊

Deb Corcoran, Bee Thankful Raw Honey
Western Catskill Mountains NY

Proverbs 16:24
Pleasant words are a honeycomb, 
sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

> 
> 
> 
>             ***********************************************
> The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
> LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2