From:
Kyle Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:10:02 -0500
On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Richard Yarnell wrote:

>What happens if, instead of putting plastic or wax foundation stamped with
>a pre-set cell pattern of size x, one installs blank sheets of foundation?

GO FOR IT!  The bees know what cell size suits them.

Some cell size data:  I installed two packages of bees last spring.  They
were Italians from a supplier in Texas.  I put them on frames with just a
top strip of beeswax.  They drew comb with cells measuring 5.1 to 5.2 mm IN
THE WORKER BROOD AREA.

When you measure cell size, be sure to measure in the worker brood area,
the center of the comb.  Measurements outside of this area add confusion to
the cell size data collection.

Cheers,
Kyle