From:
mark berninghausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:43:47 -0800
I found this to be true, especially with the older stationary commercial operations.

  It often seemed like the experienced beekeepers had their yards just beyond where one could drive ones truck off the road. To get to one yard owned by Paul B. I had to drive around the back side of a corn field and then into the trees under some power lines. I missed the turn off of that path and knew I had gone too far when the hill in front of me was too steep for even a four wheeler to climb. When I turned around and started to leave I saw the break in the brush and took it. There were the hives. Nicely spaced out in two rows. Far enough apart for the truck and underneath some apple trees whose branches were drooping down onto the tops of some of the hives. I had to take the suspected foulbrood frames a couple of steps out into the sunlight to find the AFB. It made things interesting.

  Mark

Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Michael Palmer wrote:

>Boy, lots of apiaries in the shade, eh? They must have been fun to inspect?

Hi Mike

I was headed into one with this old timer and I was *just about* to ask him
"why do you always stick the hives in these shady spots under the low lying
branches? when he said to me:

"You know, when I first set this yard up, this was a pasture."