From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Aug 2009 09:49:07 -0600
> Everyone is different.  Personally, I don't really want to be the one
> who decides which queen or queens become mother to all my hives and
> prefer to let the work it out themselves with minimal guidance from
> myself if they get outside my parameters, but I a a hobbyist these
> days and keep bees strictly for fun.

I really should add to this.  There are assumptions in any such
simplistic statements that are apparent to practised beekeepers, but
maybe not to all.

I am assuming that we are starting with good stock and can tell when
we are about to go off the rails should we go too far with not
selecting.

It is also assumed that we are also doing some other things to add
qualities we like by buying or begging queens from people with
superior stock, doing some hygienic tests, eliminating any stock that
shows any chalkbrood and encouraging them to requeen with better
stock, and generally biasing our assistance towards hives that exhibit
desirable qualities.

This taken for granted when we have more than a few hives and are
longtime beekeepers -- it is so natural we can't help but do it -- but
is less obvious or assumed when the beekeeper is a newbee and has only
a few hives.  Nonetheless the pitfalls are not too serious and if the
bees become degenerate or won't cooperate, which can happen with some
beginning stock, the alternatives are still there.

Something else.  I find that some people still regard AFB as a
scourge.  All I have to say is this: Do NOT propagate any stock that
breaks down with AFB and does not clean up a few cells pronto if you
see them.  And DO NOT buy stock from that source again.  There is no
need.  There are a number of strains that handle AFB quite well and
will fight off anything but the strongest challenges with or without a
little help from the beekeeper.

I address this to the non-commercial group.  The commercial group will
 do what they will do, but don't underestimate them either.  Four days
ago, I was in a yard with a beekeeper who has 27,00 hives some of
which are untreated for a year or more and which are in the USDA
project under which the USDA is following the bees around the country.
 I had a chance to talk to him about it and to Dr. Danka and his crew
right on the spot and examine the hives -- along with a throng of
other beekeepers.

What I am starting just now to realise as I write is how much I saw at
EAS.  At the time I took it for granted, but there was a lot packed
into a few days.  What distinguished this event from others was the
amount of beeyard time we got and the breadth of the topics covered,
as well as the talent on hand to discuss ideas.

I plan to write more about it, but that will be a huge job.

Anyhow, there ARE people running bees which seldom exhibit AFB, and
which can deal with it if it appears.  I asked Tom Rinderer (also at
EAS) about the Russians and he says he has seldom seen any in his
stock over the years and they take no special precautions.  Equipment
is swapped within the lab and with other beekeepers, yet no medication
 is necessary.  There are many others, but I like to be sure that if I
name them that I have the details right and their permission.  In this
case, Tom stated this publicly in his talk and also confirmed in
private conversation.

The future is here.  It is just not evenly distributed.