From:
PO Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 18:11:52 +0100
Dave Cushman wrote:
>300+ mating nucs (each having 6,7 or 8 rounds of queen mating).

Hello Dave,
Interesting to hear how big difference there is between us. I get an
average of 2,5 queens out of the mating nucs. If I really push it and
take queens out as soon as they start laying eggs I can get 3 rounds.

>I too think that far too much stress is placed on winter feeding, when
>the population dynamics of the bees and their racial characteristics
>should be more explored to find or develop strains that do not require
>excessive winter stores.

About 10 years ago I had exactly the same idea. I wanted bees that I
didn't have to worry about running out of feed. They sat quietly during
winter and started build up when they could fly for pollen. I bought my
queen mothers from breeders that used insem and island
mating. Then I started to have some problems with bees disappearing
during summer, thought it might be related to inbreeding and started
to mix different races in order to obtain maximum vitality. Just to test
the first years, unfortunately it didn't help much, but as "by-product" I
was getting better honey crops. So continued that path focusing on
max vitality in my bees. This has led to where I am now, with an extra
5 kg winter feed I get 30 kg more honey. Bees start early brooding and
are ready when the first flowers are coming. Would I go back to the more
or less inbred bees? Don't think so. Can't afford it.

Regarding honey for winter stores: it would be hazard here with bees
confined to the hive for 6 months without any chance for a cleansing
flight during that time. Worst possible scenario for me is when there is
a late honey dew flow after I taken the last honey home. I had it one
year, fortunately only on a few locations. Half of the hives died, the
rest was so poor they didn't build up until summer was gone. And
what a mess to clean up those dead hives were. Britain has a different
situation with water all around creating milder winters and often unstable
summer conditions. This affect your selection of bees, as well as my
short and intense flow need another type of bee. Always interesting to
compare, but I don't think we can say anyone is right or wrong here...

--
Regards

P-O Gustafsson
[log in to unmask]  http://beeman.se