From:
Mark Coldiron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 19:18:00 -0500
Thanks for all of your input!  Several of you are thinking the requirement
for 171 degree water is because I'm reusing bottles.  No, the Texas Health
Dept. wants everything - extractor, uncapper, bottler, etc... washed down
with at least 171 degree water.  I couldn't really understand it and
questioned the head of the this district about it.  She was very nice and
even call the main office in Austin.  Yep...., 171 plus degree water! They
even wanted me to prove that the bottles from the factory are clean.  I
managed to get someone from Mann Lake to call the manufacturer. They'll be
sending me a letter shortly. She did mention washing everything down with
bleach and water, but it sounded like that was in addition to the hot
water.  Tomorrow, I'll call her again.  I'll let you all know what she
says.  Any suggestions on the concentration? Do you think it will damage
any of he equipment?

The next thing I'm bracing for, is the water run off when I wash everything
down, especially if I use bleach and water.  I personally think watering
the grass/weeds with it is fine.  I'm just waiting for the hammer to drop
on that one.  Septic tank? :-(  Actually, septic tanks are handled by a
different agency.  Haven't talked to them yet!

I talked her out of separate toilet facilities.  My house is pretty close.
I couldn't talk her out of having two sinks though - one to wash my hands
and the other to wash utensils in.

In case you are wondering, this whole setup is on a small cotton farm in
west Texas, literally in the middle of nowhere!  I just wanted to make some
extra money because the cotton market is really bad.  Go figure!

More input?

Mark