From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 13:27:57 -0500
Hello John & All,
John wrote:
> Sorry, but the phrase "AI" (Artificial Insemination) is in common use in
most
> other types of animal husbandry (cattle, horses, swine). Call it what you
> choose.
I used to say "A I" until I got tired of being corrected by those doing
instrumental Insemination. You can call the procedure whatever you want but
lets be CORRECT at least in the beekeeping books. Big difference between * A
arm and glove inserted* and a *sterile instrument*.  "AI" is as you say is
for (cattle,horses,swine) and as I and researchers  doing "II" say
*instrumental insemination* IS correct for A.mellifera. I have NEVER seen a
add in a bee magazine for a artificial inseminated breeder queen. They
ALWAYS say instrumentally inseminated.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri
"Thinking old habits may be hard to change"