From:
"Keeler, Lisa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:23:50 -0500
I just saw this at work and thought I'd pass it on.
Lisa Keeler
Zionsville, IN

Honey from GM Plants Could Sweeten Vaccination
Scientists in the Netherlands are using the nectar of genetically modified
plants to produce honey containing drugs and vaccines, according to New
Scientist.
The team at the Centre for Plant Breeding and Reproduction Research in
Wageningen found that proteins in the nectar pass straight into the honey
without being digested by the bee.The opportunity was discovered when
anti-fungal proteins from heather was found in commercial brands of honey.
Investigating this, scientists found bees fed on a sugar solution containing
bovine serum albumin (BSA), found that BSA made it through to the honey
unaltered and at twice the concentration in the original solution. The team
have inserted the genes for various drugs into vectors that ensure secretion
in the nectar.
They are currently genetically engineering petunias so they yield a vaccine
against parvovirus for dogs. The contained experiments will also indicate
whether vaccine proteins will be preserved in the honey.